On January 1, 2020, New York legislature set into effect their new bail law in order to lessen the amount of people who are held in jails. This movement was a big move from the Democrats including Gov. Andrew Cuomo. The movement declares that those who have committed a select type of crime are released without bail until their set court date. This does indeed reduce the number of people within the jail, but that means they are out on the street instead. Since the bill was set into place, the have been large amounts of criminals committing double the amount of crimes and repeatedly set free due to the new motion.
Which Criminals are Walking the Street?
In essence, this is a great bill for those who’s offenses aren’t that of extreme criminal intent. Let’s say like possession of drugs or such. However, those aren’t the only ones being let back out into the public. This bail reform allows a myriad of different criminals back out. This includes and is not limited to:
- “Manslaughter in the second degree
- Aggravated vehicular homicide
- Criminally negligent homicide
- Assault in the third degree
- Aggravated vehicular assault
- Making a terroristic threat
- Criminal possession of a gun on school grounds/criminal possession of a firearm
- Criminal sale of a firearm to a minor
- Arson in the third and fourth degree
- Money laundering in support of terrorism in the third and fourth degree
- Promoting or possessing an obscene sexual performance of a child…”
Weekly Repeat Offender
As you can see, this new bail reform is outrageous. There are now criminals who are making repeat offenses within days of each other. Bank robbers are being freed without bail to do the same thing the next day. A big issue is those who suffer from domestic violence situations. Can you imagine that someone was being beaten and called the police on them? They get arrested and released without bail to go home to the same person? This is going to bring some very bad problems for New York and has already been creating chaos since the beginning of the new year. Here is a full list of this outrageous new bail reform crimes.